Start of main content
About the PlanGet to know the details and benefits of your plan, and explore ways to make it work harder for you.
We want to help you build a solid financial future.
Your plan is a 457(b) deferred compensation plan available exclusively to Alameda County employees. With this plan, you get:
- The ability to reduce your current taxable income. You decide how much to contribute, up to IRS-defined limits. When you select pre-tax contributions, you reduce your current taxable compensation. You may also contribute on a Roth after-tax basis.
- Investment earnings that have potential to grow tax-deferred. Any earnings in your account are reinvested, where they'll maintain their ability to grow tax-deferred. Amounts typically are subject to income tax when withdrawn from the plan. Special rules apply to withdrawals related to Roth contributions.
- A variety of investment options. You have the ability to diversify your investments for the mix of growth and safety you feel most comfortable with.
- Portability. If you leave your job, you may be able to roll your account into another employer's eligible retirement plan, or a traditional or Roth IRA. You also have the option to leave your money in your plan account, or cash it out. If you cash out your account, the money you receive may be subject to income tax. Leaving your money in the plan has significant benefits. View the Personalized Guidance page to talk with one of your financial guidance professionals to learn more.
Features unique to a 457(b) plan:
- Special catch-up contributions. If you are a longer-service employee, you may be able to contribute more than the general IRS limits. Please reference the plan documents below for more information or contact one of the plan's financial guidance professionals to learn more.
- Withdrawals from your 457(b) account (other than any rollover contributions made to a 457(b) plan sponsored by a governmental employer) are not subject to the IRS 10% premature distribution penalty tax. The plan documents that follow provide specific information on contributions, vesting, distribution options and more.
Plan Features—Ways to Help You Save
Asset AllocationGoalMaker®—Strategies to support your unique investing style
Take the guesswork out of choosing the right investment mix. Just answer three quick questions to find the portfolio that may be right for you.
Another Way to SaveRoth Contributions—Federal tax-free withdrawals in retirement
You can make some or all of the contributions to your account on an after-tax basis. Any earnings on those contributions can be distributed federal tax-free in retirement.Log in to get started
Get on Track, and Stay ThereRetirement Income Calculator—See what it takes to get retirement ready
A successful retirement begins with a clear understanding of how to get there. The Retirement Income Calculator shows you if you're on track to meet your retirement goals—and what to do if you're not.Login to try the Retirement Income Calculator
Participants using the Retirement Income Calculator should consider other assets, income and investments (e.g. equity in a home, Social Security benefits, individual retirement plan investments, etc.) when assessing the adequacy of the estimated income stream as provided by this tool. The Retirement Income Calculator is hypothetical and for illustrative purposes only and is not intended to represent performance of any specific investment, which may fluctuate. There is no assurance that retirement income objectives will be met. It is possible to lose money by investing in securities.
GoalMaker’s model allocations are based on generally accepted financial theories that take into account the historic returns of different asset classes. But, of course, past performance of any investment does not guarantee future results. Participants should consider their other assets, income and investments (e.g. equity in a home, Social Security benefits, individual retirement plan investments, etc.) in addition to their interest in the plan, to the extent those items are not taken into account in the model. Participants should also periodically reassess their GoalMaker investments to make sure their model portfolio continues to correspond to their changing attitudes and retirement time horizon.
Alameda County Deferred Compensation Plan Plan Resources & Quick Actions
GET IN TOUCH
Get contact information for your financial guidance professionals and plan administrators.View plan contacts
LOG IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
View account details, customized planning tools and more.Log in to your account